Skip to content

Minimum Monthly Maintenance Needs Allowance for Nursing Home Resident’s Spouse Increased to $1,839 during 7/1/2011-6/30/2012

June 30, 2011

When one spouse is living in a nursing home and the other spouse is living anywhere else, the spouse who is not living in the nursing home (known under Medicaid and MassHealth law as the “community spouse”) is allowed by Medicaid or MassHealth to keep some or all of the nursing home resident’s income through an income allowance known as the Minimum Monthly Maintenance Needs Allowance (MMMNA).  Every July 1st, this figure changes based on federal poverty level guidelines, and the MMMNA will increase from $1,821 to $1,839 from July 1, 2011 through June 30, 2012.

If certain basic household expenses are more than 30% of the MMMNA, the community spouse is entitled to keep extra income, known as the Excess Shelter Amount (“ESA”).  Between the MMMNA and the ESA, the community spouse can now be entitled to as keep as much as $2,841 of the married couple’s total income.  If even more income is needed, such as where the community spouse is living in an assisted living facility, the community spouse can request a fair hearing and attempt to prove the need for more than $2,841 of the married couple’s total income.  All of these figures remain unchanged through June 30, 2012.

Another option to retain greater income for the community spouse is a Probate Court procedure known as separate support.  Since both spouses need legal representation in court, it is important that the institutionalized spouse have a durable power of attorney that allows the appointed person to hire a lawyer.

Utilizing the MMMNA provisions in Medicaid/MassHealth law is always better than purchasing an immediate annuity, since all payments from the annuity are treated as income, and taking that step ends up reducing the amount of the married couple’s retirement income that the community spouse could otherwise keep.  Unfortunately, due to the asset rules under Medicaid/MassHealth, in many situations the community spouse has no choice but to purchase an immediate annuity with excess assets.  See Preserving Assets and Maximum Income for the Healthier Spouse When the Other Spouse Enters a Nursing Home.


2 Comments leave one →
  1. Mike Torres permalink
    September 26, 2011 1:52 pm

    This post seems to prove the fact that anyone can attempt to do the process on their own but it is very wise to at least get an attorney involved. There are many details that an attorney can make sure are attended to and if not taken care of, there could be dire outcomes at the end.

    Mike Torres

  2. February 1, 2012 4:27 am

    Woah! I’m genuinely digging the template/theme of this website. It’s simple, however effective. A great deal of times it’s hard to get that “perfect balance” between usability and appearance. I need to say you’ve got done a awesome job with this. Also, the blog loads very quick for me on Internet explorer. Outstanding Weblog!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: